Greetings From Our Principal - Mr. Kurt Siebold
Slavens K-8 School is a Leader In Me school that takes the development of the whole child seriously. We believe that a strong educational foundation is attained by providing a thoughtful and nurturing environment where students feel safe and cared for. We have a Code of Conduct that begins, “At Slavens, we take the high road…” and ends with “… even when no one is watching” which signifies our central theme: students are responsible for their own behavior and learning and our job as adults is to support them in their development. Our goal is to grow compassionate, ethical and productive students who are engaged and challenged in their learning.
Students have achieved at high academic levels demonstrating above average growth as measured through the standardized PARCC exam. While we strive to provide all students with exceptional learning opportunities, teachers realize that student academic growth doesn’t happen by accident. They recognize the individual strengths and needs of each student and provide supports that address and build on those strengths as well as the individual needs. Our committed teachers are pleased to have the generous backing of our involved parent community. Working with parents who are invested in their child’s education allows us to bring about greater student success.
While one measure of student success is certainly seen through academic performance, there is another level of success that cannot be measured by standardized tests. Consequently, we believe that helping students develop life skills like “Being Proactive” and “Seeking First to Understand” will also help ensure their success. Therefore, we approach our work with a growth mindset and work to develop in students a desire for continuous improvement. Slavens’ staff models the belief that we are all learners striving to get better each day. We seek to improve our practice as we help students improve in the skills they need to succeed. As teachers cultivate the social and emotional intelligence of their students and help them acquire skills of collaboration, we believe our students will be better equipped to grow into capable and strong adults who can get along well with others.
It is a pleasure for me to work with our amazing students at Slavens alongside our involved parent community and dedicated teachers!
Mr. Kurt Siebold
- Principal at Slavens since August 2007
- Business owner of Pump It Up from 2005 to 2007
- Principal at Sedalia Elementary from 2000-2005
- Assistant Principal at Fox Creek from 1996 to 2000
- Taught in Colorado, California and Massachusetts
- Worked in high schools and elementary schools before Slavens K-8
- After being closed for nearly 14 years, Slavens re-opened in 1996 because of a strong parent community
- Slavens has been rated "Distinguished" for the past 10 years and is consistently performing in the top 2% of all district schools.
- Together with students, teachers and parents we have established a culture that supports the development of the whole child.
- Slavens was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School in 2012
- The Leader In Me process has helped students become proactive learners who "begin with the end in mind".
- We are a school that believes in daily Physical Education as well as exposure to the arts, music & STEM
It’s all about the team: I truly believe we accomplish great things at Slavens because of our dedicated teachers, involved parents and engaged students!