Breakfast and Lunch Program
Breakfast is served daily in the lunchroom beginning at 7:35 a.m. for middle school students and 7:45 a.m. for elementary students. There is no charge to students for breakfast. Cost for parents is $2.50.
Hot lunch is served daily. Milk may be purchased separately. Hot lunches may be purchased in advance by check in the school office. Checks must include your student’s name and grade in the memo line and be for an amount of $99.00 or less. Parents may also create an account at www.myschoolbucks.com to pay for meals online. Cost for hot lunch is $1.85 for elementary students, $2.10 for middle school students and $.50 for milk. Monthly menus can be found in the weekly emails and the Slavens app.
For more information regarding DPS lunch policy please visit http://foodservices.dpsk12.org/
For more information regarding DPS dietary restrictions policy please visit http://foodservices.dpsk12.org/special-dietary.php
Slavens Elementary recognizes that food allergies can be life threatening. The number of children that have a food allergy is a staggering 1 in 13 and 16-18% of children with food allergies have had a reaction at school. In the U.S, fatal or near fatal reactions are most often caused by peanuts and tree nuts.
At Slavens, the safety of our children is of upmost importance. Because of the rising number of children with food allergies, and the severity of the allergic reaction to peanuts and tree nuts, Slavens is implementing the following Nut Policy effective August 2016.
Slavens Nut Policy:
- When parents know their child has a nut allergy, they will inform the school nurse and classroom teacher of this fact. Teachers/classroom staff in these classrooms will not provide food in the classroom that contains or may contain nuts (items that state “processed in a facility” with nuts are permitted).
- Food products for any classroom party where students have a known allergy must be store bought and in packaging with ingredients clearly labeled.
- Consistent with last year, nut containing products will not be served by the cafeteria staff.
- Students can still bring products containing nuts for lunch to be consumed solely by that student.
- Reminders will be posted in the cafeteria to remind students who consume nut containing products to wash their hands with soap or use hand wipes that contain soap after eating the nut products.
We appreciate your support in implementing this new policy and keeping our Slavens food allergic children safe.
Parents may create an account at www.myschoolbucks.com to pay for meals online. Cost for hot lunch is $1.85 for elementary students, $2.10 for middle school students and $.50 for milk.
Eating with Students
To have breakfast with a student, parents/guardians may proceed to the cafeteria with their student: 7:35 a.m. for middle school students and 7:45 a.m. for elementary students. There is no charge to students for breakfast. Cost for parents is $2.50 in cash.
To have lunch with your student please follow visitor policies and proceed to meet your student in the cafeteria at their lunch time. Class lunch schedules can be found in the current school directory or the Slavens app. A parent wishing to purchase lunch in the cafeteria must bring cash. Cost for parents is $4.00